Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The Club of Sinners

"Love your neighbor as yourself."
Mark 12:31; Matt. 22:39; Lev. 19:18; Deut. 6:5; Rom. 13:9

I believe that for those of you who know me well, you will be surprised at some of the things you will read in this post. For the most part, I've given up on posting here unless something strikes me heavily. I find I satisfy my own brain when I write my opinions out and I also believe God can use this to hopefully speak to someone else. 

I'm going to begin with Caitlyn Jenner

I do not, and never will, understand the mentality a human must be in to believe that they are a woman in a man's body. I've never felt that way but I imagine that it is an overwhelmingly painful feeling. This is an issue I've struggled with because I don't believe God makes mistakes; that is, I don't think God would make a woman's spirit and put it in a man's body. 

I'm happy for Caitlyn. You want to know why? Because Caitlyn is a human. The procedure performed was not a species change. And Caitlyn Jenner is still my neighbor; and I love her. There must be a lot of pain in Caitlyn's heart and I'm glad that so many people have rallied around this human and given her support. What makes me sad is seeing the Christian community blatantly disgracing the second of only TWO commands given to us by Jesus. I don't agree with the decision Caitlyn made, and I believe Bruce could have found more joy in Christ than he does in Caitlyn; but I can't change the fact that Bruce is Caitlyn now. What can I do? Love.

I read an article about someone who transitioned from female to male and was rejected by their local Catholic church. He got in contact with the Pope and asked, "Is there room for me in God's church?" Every time I read that question, I get tears in my eyes. I've asked that question. Is there room for a recovering porn addict who messes up a lot and is in love with someone he doesn't deserve in God's church? Is there room for someone who has horrible self confidence, yet closes people out because he thinks he's better than them? Is there room for someone who has always struggled with being judgmental? Thankfully, the answer to both of us is, "Yes." 

(Here's a link to that story: http://time.com/3744270/catholic-church-pope-francis-transgender-community/ )

If there's room to argue about hymnal colors, carpet colors, office hours, and a steeple, there's room for sinners. And I pray Caitlyn will join my Club of Sinners and reach out to Christ.

The Confederate Flag

This one is simple: take the stupid flag down.

I frankly do not care about your heritage. I don't care about your family's past. I don't care about your state's past. The fact is the flag stood for a group of people who stood for something horrific. Just like our flag stands for freedom, bravery, valor, and justice, their flag stood for the fight for slavery.

Now, I've heard the arguments. I learned about the Civil War in Kentucky and believed for most of my life that the Civil War was only about the federal government over stepping its bounds and trying to take control of the states' power. It's not. Period. It's about the federal government standing for what was right and the Confederate flag stood for what was wrong. 

Do I think the Confederate flag should be made illegal? No. Do I think if you have any class you'll take it down? Absolutely.

Gay Marriage

And this is the fun one. I have a lot to say about gay marriage, but I am going to try to keep it brief. 

I believe homosexuality is a sin. I believe that marriage was established by God and that it is between a man and a woman. The Bible does talk about homosexuality in the New Testament (Romans, 1 Corinthians, 1 Timothy, [possibly] Jude). It's not questionable whether it's a sin if you believe in the inerrant nature of the Bible as I do.

But I think back to Caitlyn Jenner. These people are humans. They were made in the image and likeness of God. They are our brothers and sisters. They are our neighbors. And God called us to love exactly them.

What I believe on gay marriage: I think the government should be out of marriage altogether. I believe as far as the government is concerned, they should all be considered civil unions and be solely for tax reasons. The church, I believe, should not perform gay marriages. So am I upset with the Supreme Court's decision? No. For those of you who think that this is the final string severing America's tie to God, you're foolish. That tie was cut a long time ago. If I were on the Supreme Court, I would have voted no. But I am not and I'm thankful that I am not.

The important part of all of this is love. That's it. And guess what? There is room for everyone who considers themselves gay, lesbian, or bisexual in God's church and I say, "Welcome to the Club of Sinners."

Closing Remarks

You want to know why the world is deteriorating? It's because the church is more concerned about being right than being loving. If we love God with all we have and love our neighbors, then everything else will fit into place. If you're reading this and you're struggling with any sin (porn, gossip, substance abuse, addiction, lying, stealing, homosexuality) I have one message for you.

Welcome to the Club of Sinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment